Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Taking it down a notch

So I bailed out of town for the weekend. Friday, I took Bug to school and went to the Y like normal. I only did about 30 minutes of cardio and I left. I just didn't have the heart for it. The To Do list was getting longer and longer and things just weren't getting done. On Thursday, I had some electrians over to see if they could fix the phone line, a roofer be an absolute jerk to me, and I still hadn't even started on the leak or taxes. As I am driving home, I call my friend from the last post, my Army Mentor. I love this woman. I try not to be her drama friend but I know that she has been there done that. She is on her fourth deployment. I am boobing to her about everything falling apart and she gives me that smack that I need. "Is the roof leaking?" No, then it doesn't need to be fixed today, it can wait. "Come to my house for the weekend." I can't I have this and that going on. Cancel them and take a break. What?! I can do that? Of course, I can. I have never been afraid to say no, I won't start now. So within two hours I pulled the kids out of school and we were on the road. She lives about 3 1/2 hours away now.

About 1 hour from her house DD starts throwing up. I call her to tell her what's going on but she says keep coming. DD throws up the rest of the day and then is done. Only once did she not make it to the toilet, but it was at least in the bathroom. Other than that we have a great weekend, just talking, the kids playing, watching TV, playing with her sweet new baby that I hadn't met yet. I wake up Monday sick. I instantly pack up and get out of dodge. I figure I am tired and will only get more tired so I better get the three hours of driving done now. If I am getting DD's sick its going to get worse so I better get home. We get home with enough time for me to try to nap in the afternoon. I woke up so much worse. So yeah, now I have the flu. I even got the flu shot this year. I came on to post last night and couldn't even complete the meme that Nikki tagged me to do, its still half-finished in my saved posts. I saw a news report last night as I am laying on the couch last night all grossy, it was about how the flu predicter people got it wrong this year. Most years the flu shot is 90% effective, this year it is 40%. Bully for the flu people.

Are you kidding me? Getting that flu shot was miserable. Last year I got the flu mist, that was fine. This year they didn't have it, shot for you. My arm hurt for days, I mean I couldn't even sleep on that side and I am a side sleeper. I was uncomfortable for days and then I go and get the flu anyway? Not cool people.

So rant over, this weekend was a really good refocus for me. I am trying to do too much. I am freaking myself out. Between church callings, book club, two FRG jobs, all the FRG meetings, kids activities, waging war on the house, trying to finish the kitchen, etc, I am losing it. Trying to get everything done means almost nothing is really getting done, not in the way I want it to get done. I really don't look at myself as a perfectionist but I do expect quality. So many of these things aren't getting done at all and they are important compared to the things that are taking up my time.

Here's how it is going to go from now until the next freak out and I have to reassess again. I am quitting one of the FRG jobs. I will not be going to FRG night meetings unless it is the big monthly meeting. I will write a list of things that I would like to accomplish in the house by priority and work in that order. When the first thing gets done I will move on down. No time limit, not one a day, one a week, just as they get done. I will take one Super Saturday a month for work and one for fun. I will not start on my lists or work until I am better. I will allow myself to be sick and the kids will eat cereal and survive.

I will survive with my sanity. I do not have to have tackled Everest by the time Dan gets home. We all just need to be healthy and not watched 15 months straight of TV, right now that is my goal. Maybe I will add to that in a little bit.

On the spending front, on the way to my friends house, I bought a chick flick and a box of chocolates on the 50% off rack. So far that's it. It was totally worth it, good cry.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hello! remember us? The Stephens? How have you guys been? Your family is so cute, I cannot beleive how big those little kiddos are! They are adorable!

SuperCoolMom said...

Good for you Cristtin! Just say No! My mantra is "one thing at a time"...I chant it to myself, all day, every day.

Susie J. said...

Get on the phone to your visiting teachers, ask for help. I'm NOT kidding. Let them bring you meals, or watch the kids for a bit, or do your laundry, or WHATEVER it is that you need help with. ((((hugs)))) I totally understand. I'm just getting over the flu myself... along with the ENTIRE family.