Wednesday, February 06, 2008

All sorts of fun here in TN

Super Tuesday went out with a bang.

All four of us sleeping in the basement all night long. Me, finally falling alseep on the couch around 1am just giving up on any chance of being able to sleep in my own bed. At 8:30 was when I had the kids get their blankets, pillows, and sleeping bags. They went to sleep within the next 1/2 hour, under severe threat to go to sleep you have school tomorrow. I watched some stuff on the DVR while I checked the weather every 15 minutes or so. By 1am I think we had had 3 tornado warnings. Nothing touched down here but anyone watching the news knows the rest of the state was not so lucky. The last tornado warning that I was aware of last night was at a crossing between a main road and the interest a few miles from my house. This was the closest I have ever been to being aware of a tornado.

I say that because years ago we lived a few blocks from where the SLC tornado finished but we didn't know about it until it was over. When the wind started going crazy I went outside to see what all the fuss was about. A few years in ND have taken that curiousity out of me.

Also, as I was drifting of to the sounds of some newsperson who has made it up the ladder to be their go-to person for all-night weather info, I become aware of some slight rhythmic sound in the basement. Almost like a faint dripping sound. I am awake now, dripping sound? Oh yeah, dripping in two places in a closet in my basement. Not just any closet, the closet with the electircal circuit breakers and all my satellite cables. This is not good. I put a couple of buckets under them after removing the boxes they had been dripping on and lay back down.

So after my few hours of sleeping badly on the couch the children started to wake up before 7 am. Why do they do that? Aren't they tired from sleeping on the floor and staying up late? Don't they know how to sleep in? I went up to my bed to catch another 1/2 hour before it was time to start getting the kids ready for school. Just as I am getting comfy, Dan calls. I won't complain about that one, I just didn't go back to sleep.

Get the kids off to school, eat breakfast, back to bed. I dreamt the whole time that DD was trying to wake me up or that I was outside as a tornado sky blew in (slightly yellow or green in color) and was trying to save the trash can from blowing away. Then an hour into my sleep, also bad sleep because it is very windy, the FRG leader calls to ask us to call our people and check on them. I called all my local people and only got one at home. And now I am awake and I know its time to give up on catching up on sleep.

And just for kicks. Yesterday, I woke up with that I am getting sick feeling. I have been doing my Zicam since but one thing I have learned... If you feel like you are getting sick and want to speed up the process spend the night on the couch.

Lets go out on a high note. I saw on the news today a man being arrested for driving on the freeway with his 16 month old daughter not strapped in the back seat. She was just having a good ole time in the back seat jumping castle. But he wasn't completely irresponsible. He remembered to strap something in the front seat, his case of beer. Yeah, that's right, the man put a seat belt on his beer and not his daughter.

Can anyone tell me why spellcheck won't work. I really need it to wrok.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Yeah, i saw the news the next day. That is so scary. One of my worst fears actually.'
Im glad you are all safe.

SuperCoolMom said...

What a crazy night! and that MAN, I cannot believe he was more careful with his beer than his baby. What a jerk.

So glad you got a call from you honey!