Sunday, March 16, 2008

Super-Awesome Weekend

I was getting ready to take DD to the Doctor to check on her ears on Thursday when I get a call from the school that Innie was in the nurse's office complaining of a sore throat but with no fever. You are not supposed to take siblings to doctor's appointments, they don't like you when you do that. So as the compassionate Mom I am I told the nurse to send Innie back to class and tell him to man up. Yes, that was the message I gave to my son who was feeling bad.

Then as I am driving to the school I got the logical brainwave that saved my weekend. If Innie has strep then he has to get on antibiotics right now or he won't be on them long enough and I won't be able to take the kids to Friday Night Out and my sister is coming and our super cool weekend will be ruined. If it is not strep then I will know and then I can definitely tell him to man up. So I called the school and said get Innie ready, I am getting him too.

And just for the record I feel no guilt that what actually got me to get my son to the doctor was the thought that it might ruin my weekend. It was strep, we got the drugs. The doctor couldn't find anything wrong with DD's ears and just told me to try earplugs in the pool from now on. But that Thursday night was so wonderful, since Innie has strep I didn't take the kids to swimming. So that was the first night in I'm not sure how long I didn't have a list of stuff to do. Innie wouldn't be going to school the next day so I pretty much cleared my schedule for Friday. I have never been more relieved to have a sick child in all my life. Thursday night we did nothing, we all watched TV, and just relaxed. I can't even watch TV anymore without doing something else, checking email, cleaning, etc. Thursday night was the exception, we just relaxed. I didn't even turn on the computer all day, it was lovely. Friday was a lot lighter also. I still managed to get Bug to school, the post office, the truck to the shop, and clean the house for my sister coming, but it felt like I had so much time. I didn't do the Y, that always takes a couple hours, and I did my clean and then do something for me thing. You know read a chapter in the book that I am reading and then clean a room, watch a TV show, then clean something else, it keeps me from getting frantic.

Then Friday Night Out came and so did my sister. It turns out that Friday Night Out is kind of a bust, I don't think I'll ever do that again. It is 6pm-10pm and it took me 30 minutes to check them in, 15 minutes to get home to meet up with my sister and then you cannot be late even 1 minute to pick them up, they will charge you $1 a minute per child, and my kids are kept in three different locations. So it takes 30 minutes to pick them up. At Bug's place they didn't even start letting us in on time. It was very frustrating. I am not try to be ungrateful its just that once I got home and put the kids in bed it was 10:30pm, way past bedtime and the kids were very wound up. I just think that for the basically 3 hours that I did get, it was a lot of work and I am not sure it was worth it. For a late Friday night out with friends or my sister it would be easier to pay a sitter then they can help me get them home. At least then kids get to bed on time and I don't have over-tired kids on my hands, all that drive time wasted, and all that stress that I can't be late.

All that aside it was way fun with my sister. Shopping, eating out, hot tub, swimming, and just taking our time on Saturday to do whatever we want. And I found a loop-hole for my spending fast to pay for it all. I got a rebate check from one of the credit cards and a reimbursement from some stuff I got for cub scouts, so I just cashed them and saved it for this weekend. I did buy one thing thought the normal way, a vacuum, as I was vacuuming on Friday it started to smell like burning machine. This vacuum is nine years old and we bought it for $80 so I think we got our money's worth. So I got a new one and then for fun went over all the areas that I had just vacuumed. The canister was so gross, it was full of dust and sand, and not a little bit of dust bunnies, it was a dust bunny colony. Ewww. But I did at least feel a little better knowing that it was up and off the floor.

Yeah clean floor and fun weekend.

2 comments:

Susie J. said...

Wow... our docs must hate me. I usually end up there with all 4 kids, even if only one is sick.
And I'm glad you like your new vacuum! I bought myself a dyson a couple weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I did the same thing, vacuuming over the spot I'd just done... and it picked up SOOOO much. Filled the canister in about 3 minutes. I've also discovered that I'm shedding MUCH more hair than I'd thought. I have to clean the hair off the brush/wheel thingymajigger after just about every use, because it's sucking up tons of the stuff and getting it all wrapped up in there.

SuperCoolMom said...

I've loved having sick kids too. If only for the excuse not to go places and for a reason to just sit and hold them. Of course the whining and runny noses get old.

Glad you had a fun GNO with your sister, even if the sitter situation was a hassle.