Tuesday, March 04, 2008

My evil plan worked

I have been doing reading time with the kids for a while now. I have not been consistent with it though until Dan left. Now almost every evening after dinner we do reading time. 20-25 minutes of sitting on the living room couches reading books they have dragged up from the basement. We do it in the living room because in theory that is the calm adult room. No TV, not kid proof, almost always nice room. So they must sit there and just read. Sometimes I let them read to Bug as their reading time but normally I just make Bug look at books. It is the time that I mostly clean the kitchen.

Most nights I set a timer to keep the questions of Are we there yet at bay. Some nights I don't so maybe they won't notice I kept them at it for 30 minutes. Every single night the second I say alright you can be done, they get up and put their books away.

Not tonight, both Innie and DD asked if they could finish their books first. Mind you, Innie was reading a Calvin and Hobbes book but I really don't care right now, reading is reading. I really enjoy Innie reading Calvin, that boy needs a mischievous influence, he is too freaky good sometimes. DD was reading a Dr. Suess book, they have been celebrating his birthday at school and so she is all stoked to read his books. Right now Innie is still reading.

Evil genius.

3 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Awesome! I love that you are using that time to get the kitchen clean too! Brilliant plan!

My kids are all readers. I attribute it to No T.V. summers and No Video games in our house.

Abbey said...

I might just have to steal this idea from you :)

Nikki said...

Ditto on the brilliant plan for getting the kitchen clean too! And I might just have to steal it as well.