Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Living room project - Check

All the flooring in our house is going. We have done the kitchen floor, still not quite done with the finishing touches that's why still no pictures even though we started that in November, I haven't even done anything in a month or so. The carpet in the bedrooms and the living room is the wonderful light shade of beige that has picked up everything the former owners even thought of dropping on it, and has great traffic pattern marks. We didn't even have to discuss where to put the couches there was already a spot mapped out for us.

We decided we would put laminate into the living room and hallway and recarpet the stairs and bedrooms. I have been on the look out for a good price on floor for months now and all of a sudden I find it, the perfect shade, and way below our budgeted price. I ended up paying about 30% of what we had budgeted for. Yes! I know everyone loves a deal but this was so sweet. Then at the store they gave me a referral for an installer that they were on good terms with, I call him up and his price is 50% of what we had budgeted, super score. I wasn't in the mood to even attempt putting this floor in by myself.

They came over last Saturday and installed in about four hours. While they were here we talked about a couple other jobs that they will do for me in the future because I really liked their work speed, and prices. So soon, I am getting a new basement door, the thresh hold is too high and makes for one very scary first step, a custom thresh hold into the kitchen since the tile floor is so much higher than the laminate and while they are here next they are just going to nail in the quarter round that I haven't gotten around to in the kitchen and don't have a nail gun to do it anyway. If I have them painted and ready and in place they will just nail them for me, then the kitchen will be practically done. And they moved the furniture back into the living room for me in exchange for me doing the sweeping, like I haven't clean a floor. Moving a couch by myself, that one is a little more tricky.

Last thing, when the contractor walked into the kitchen and saw the tile floor he said, "Wow, this is a nice job, who did this for you?" Man, did that feel good. It felt really good to tell him that my husband and I had done it and it was our first tile floor. Just wanted to brag, now here are some pictorial brags for my new pretty floor.
Here's a good idea of the carpet, just random non-descript stains splattered all over it. Well, no more. He he he.
I had to get a picture of the wonderful entry thingy we had of those sticky vinyl squares. And then surrounded by an elegant trim of metal.
Ta-da!
Any suggestion on the mantle, we were thinking about maybe painting it white, what do you think?

4 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Woohoo, AWESOME deal! and it looks GREAT!

M A Haddox said...

Looks great.... It tempts me and my roller blades just looking at it!

But yes, I think White would be perfect for that type of Mantle. It's what you'd typically see in the movies when someone is buying a large, extravagant house.

MNATTH said...

Your floors look beautiful. I bet it will please you for a long time. Good score on the price break too. Your fireplace would look good white. But you could also do black and it would look great.

Abbey said...

Looks great! I think the mantle would look great in White. Black would look good too.