Monday, April 07, 2008

New Alias



My oldest son is nine years old and we haven't called him Innie (In-ee) since he was about two or three years old. It is a very little boy nickname. We call him by his name, we don't have a nickname for him. Calling him Innie on the blog has been bothering me for a while now but last Saturday morning it hit me with full force, this boy need a new name.

It was Super Saturday and I was getting ready. The kids were basically ready but I called Innie to have him get a bag ready for Bug. The place that Bug goes to has requested that a bag with extra clothes always go with him just in case. I asked Innie to get Bug's backpack and put in a change of clothes in it so we would be ready to go. He tells me that he already did it and that it is ready. Every morning for school he is ready. He is dressed for church even before I wake up, church is at 11am. I am constantly blown away by this kid.

I think that a lot of this can be traced back to some sort of first born responsibility complex. I can't tell you how hard I try to not rely heavily on him. It is almost second nature for me to call him if I need something done because I know if I ask him it will get done. If ask DD, the success rate plummets. So I have been making a huge effort to call DD much more often and try to get more responsibility out of her. I refuse to make Innie the de-facto man in the house, he is my child, and he gets to have a childhood regardless of where Daddy is. The most humorous thing about this is the biggest thing I have to fight in this is Innie himself. I have to remind him that he is a kid, that he is not DD or Bug's Dad and to let me do my job. He so rarely gets in trouble but if we are going to butt heads it will be over this issue, him trying to force his siblings to do the right thing to make my life easier.

He is such a funny little thing. He is a tiny nine year old. DD is barely smaller than him even though she is two years younger. He is so smart, so reserved. We got him a bike for his fifth birthday, he looked at it, got up walked a circle around it with barely a smile on his face but we knew he was bursting with excitement. For his ninth, we got him a Star Wars Transformer that he had been asking for, his response was so uncharacteristic of him that it even surprised my sister because it was totally childlike, "Whoa, come to papa!"

Even though he rarely gets into trouble, he's not a total freak. He can still be a kid, laugh at a bathroom joke, play a prank on his little brother or sister. And when he wants to he can be very evilly manipulative to try and get his siblings into trouble or mess with his cousin's mind. So I am stumped, I can't think of a single thing to call my oldest boy. This gentle trying too hard tiny boy with his hidden evil streak that I secretly love. Any ideas?

5 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

The first time, I asked mine. If you were going to be a comic book character, who would you be? or movie star, or character from your favorite book? Very enlightening! I found it so interesting to know who they associated themselves with or admired.

Right now, my kids alias' are what little bro calls them.

oda41143 Missy said...

Good mail is just a random act of kindness. You mail little items or a homemade gift to another person, out of the blue :) Lots of girls blogs that I read have posts about giving and receiving good mail so I thought I'd give it a try.

SuperCoolMom said...

I left some bling for you on my private blog!

Abbey said...

I don't have any ideas for a new code name, but Innie is such a sweet boy!

Susie J. said...

Little Man?