Monday, April 28, 2008

A couple Bug related things

I am having this problem with Bug lately. Nothing I seem to do can get this boy to get dressed in anything less than 15 minutes. Send him upstairs on his own to get dressed and I better not be in any sort of time constraint. It can take him 5 minutes just for shoes and socks. The boy has like five pairs of shoes, but he always has to pull a Rainman on me and need a specific pair that day, "Mom, I need my Lightning McQueen shoes, or Vans or whatever." He also refers to his shoes by brand names, kind of freaks me out. I didn't tell him what kind of shoes they were. "Look at my new Airwalks." That's great, Bug, nobody cares.

Back on topic, if we are in a rush I will need to get him dressed myself to ensure speedy dressing. Not always so feasible on the morning rush with getting three kids ready for school. That's life.

This weekend, here in TN there was a tax free weekend on clothes, school supplies, things like that. I needed new workout shoes from having worn mine accidentally while doing yard work this past week and now they were all green and grossy. I am not going to the Y with green shoes that weren't meant to be green and thought I would check out any sales for summer clothes for the kids. Sales tax here is almost 10%, so no sales tax and any additional sale could be worth it. JCPenney was doing this buy one get another one for $.88. And I found a good deal on some shoes and some 50% off short pajamas for Bug.

We got home late and I wanted the kids to get dressed fast and right into bed. I told Bug, "Get your jamas on super-fast or I am going to take away your other new shark jamas." He took off up the stairs to his room. I took my time getting upstairs and when I got there, normally I would find I naked Bug doing some sort of tribal dance around his bed but instead I found a fully dressed in pajamas Bug. He came running to me with a big smile on his face proud of how fast he had gotten dressed and exclaimed...

"I got dressed faster than a hippo."

Huh? I ran with it, yeah, you did! That is so awesome! Of course, older, wiser, Punx tries to butt in, "If he only had underwear on he would be faster than a hippo." Not helping.

I have been trying to figure out how to capitalize on this and make this more habit, give him new fun exciting clothes everyday? I only have one more pair of new pajamas, then what am I going to do?


Onto the next thing. There is a slight possibility that I might be killing his frog, Kelly. I take good care of that stupid thing but maybe lately, not so much. Maybe I was supposed to clean the cage out a month ago, spray it everyday (I think I have been doing it every other?), feed it every night (if it didn't finish the crickets from the night before do I really need to bother?). Then I looked into the cage and thought, how long have those crickets been in there? How many crickets a day has it been eating? I don't have any idea. Then I looked closer and the frog wasn't moving. I poked at it and it still didn't move, normally it tries everything to get away. I picked it up and it was like, whatever. It even looks a lighter shade of green. I know it weighs like nothing but is it even lighter? Dude, am I killing my son's Christmas present four months later?

First that thing was not cheap. The frog was. The cage, the heater, the bedding, the water dish, the log, the travel cage, the cricket cage, and the crickets. All that crap added up. This thing is not allowed to die. If it died now, that thing would've cost me like $30 a month. So not worth it. Never mind that Bug sort of looks at him every once and a while. It's not like they play together.

Next, I can't look into that little face, your frog is dead. Why, cause your mom is too busy to think about a dumb pac-man frog.

I cleaned the cage today, really well. I guess we just have to wait and see if I can get it to eat tonight. I even left a gimp cricket in there, just in case it is too weak to catch a normal one. It's missing one of it's back legs so it can't jump, no I did not remove the leg, I just found one that way. Stupid frog, stupid mom guilt.

5 comments:

oda41143 Missy said...

Go catch a new frog and maybe he'll not notice the difference. Tax free is awesome. They do not do that in Kentucky but they do in neighboring West Virginia and I sometimes go shopping that weekend. I used to have problems with my 4 year old dressing himself, but then I screamed really loud and started jumping up and down when he did it. Now he comes in my room, dressed covering his ears waiting for the big scream. He loves it and I'll do whatever works. Did you get some shoes?

Nicole Shelby said...

CRISTTIN!
Goodness! How's is life? How are you? How is everything?
You know, I have been thinking about you lately...and here you are!
Fill me in!
(I'm gonna need to set aside some time as well to go through your blog...)

Yeah...it's cristtin!

SuperCoolMom said...

I'm no help on the frog question - I recently found two turtle shells and had fresh guilt over that 60 bucks.

also, my kids are like molasses - so really no help at all today. Sorry.

Shopping! Now that's where I shine! Awesome deals!

Haddorkus said...

Of course, I got shoes. $60 Adidas for $37, not bad. I don't think that I have ever gone out with the intention of getting shoes and come home without any. I think it might be possible but I have never tried to display that kind of willpower.

Tubbs Family said...

Yeah, we have a beta that I thought I would've killed off by now. Even when we go to Wal-mart and Trouble wants to look at I don't complain because I scout out the matching Beta to ours...just in case. Kids are great that way. Do you ever watch Malcom in the Middle? In one episode they promise Dewy a dog if he can keep a fish alive. Well, he was keeping his fish alive and Mom was mad and told Dad to go something about it. So Dad replace the dead for the live fish that night and when they got up that morning, the fish was alive!?! Well, it turned out Dewy had replace more that one fish that he killed! Ha, it was a great episode.
Anyway, Trouble is at that 'everything is a race' stage, so we play games like 'can Trouble get dressed faster than Mom can...' and that works pretty well. Of course he wins. I just make sure not to have him race against Dynomite...I mean she might actually win sometime :-) What would we do without kiddos??