Friday, May 16, 2008

Rebate?

Anyone who had read this blog enough to read some of my political rants can figure out I swing Republican, it's not hard to see. That does not mean you know what I think about the President, this war, immigration, universal health care, fiscal policies, or any number of politically charged debates sweeping the countries right now, unless I have already ranted about them here. A good amount of my views go hand in hand with the GOP, to a point. Not all, and in my advancing years I actually am learning a little diplomacy. A little. Political Correctness can can go to Europe, and stay there. I have no patience for that.

Here is one view I will share with you today. I think the tax rebate is a completely hare-brained idea that will do no good. The first one, we didn't get. We were too poor. I think we were still getting EIC at the time and so that disqualified us and so I didn't really pay attention to the debate or any ramifications. In the colleges years, it was really just babies and Dan, that was about all I could see. Although back then, I would have gladly taken the money and not cared about any affect to the country.

A few years later, here we are in very different circumstances and the country is too. So Mr. Bush comes in to save us with a better idea than what he did before, more money this time. Everyone listen, we will save this economy by spending our way out of it. What would Rosie the Riveter do? She would go get herself something pretty to wear for after work and maybe a Coach purse, too. We will stop this recession from happening (because we all know we aren't already in one, don't we, come on, prove it) by acting the same way as what got us into it. Does this make sense to anyone?

I found little Johnny smoking today so I made him smoke the whole pack.

My brother is an alcoholic so we took him on a four-day binger to make him so sick he'll never want to touch the stuff again.

The country is in such bad debt and can't handle their own personal finances, let's give them more money and encourage them to use it all at Best Buy, not save or pay down debt, use on mortgage or bills. It will help our economy.

Does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe we are past the quick fix ideas here? It may be easy to get into debt but it does take time and work to get out of it. Does a retirement account just grow with magic beans? Is this whole country just going to work until they die?

ABC News all this week has been doing a segment every night on the power of 2. Just 2 things you can do to make something better. One night, health, environment, etc. I think it was Wednesday they did personal finances. The two things are so simple and easy. 1.) Pay yourself first. Just start saving some money. They showed one woman who was a single mom in her 40's who didn't save. Had she started at 25 with 25 a week she would have $28,000.00 now. 2.) Pay with cash. Can't handle the credit cards? Put yourself on a cash only diet. Not a debit card, cash. It makes you much more aware of what you are spending when you budget for the week with cash and when you are out of cash for the week you are done for the week. Buy a $100 of groceries on a credit card and then only make minimum payments you will spend $212 on those Crunch berries and impulse Oreos, ouch. So simple, how many of us do it?

All that being said. I am really against this idea of the rebate. I don't like it. I also haven't researched yet what it will do to our next year's tax filing. Although for us it shouldn't do anything, combat pay, tax exempt. For us it's like we aren't making anything this year. Looks like another year for EIC, sweet! Anyway.

So what do you do when all of a sudden there it is in you checking account? The full rebate amount, so pretty. Best Buy did come to mind. A coach purse did not, I like them, I'll admit I have a baby one (got it at the outlet store) but can't pay full retail for those things. All my principles are against this money but come on, there is no way I'm giving to charity or something. I'll pay tithing on it sure. But help the economy by shopping spree? Sorry, Mr. President, not in the cards.

I promptly paid the tithing, paid half to debt, a third to savings. That leaves a whopping 7% left. What am I going to do with it? Maybe I could bend a little. It is Super Saturday tomorrow. Not to brag or anything but I have lost 25 lbs now and busted the skinny jeans off the shelf and now they are getting loose. A small principal to compromise, especially if it means I get to go shopping.

5 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Good for you, getting too thin for the skinny jeans!!! I'm a cash only girl. If I don't have any money today to spend, I certainly don't have any fantasies about it suddenly being there next week, next month, or next year to pay off credit cards. Thus, my 10 year old walls, 5 year old carpet, and 2 year old couches will probably never be in style all at the same time. But they're all paid for!

Susie J. said...

Ours went to a new laptop. We were at the point where both our computers (good grief, how materialistic does that sound??) were outdated and falling apart one function at a time. Dh's laptop was literally not working at ALL, and my desktop was just not functioning reliably. (even compared to a normal computer) Soooo, we each got a new laptop and relegated the desktop to the kids. The gov't check covered the cost of mine, and dh's was paid for with his re-enlistment bonus payment for this year. (after tithing, of course)

Pure Golding said...

I agree that the rebates were a bad idea. But since we didn't have a say in it, I think we should do like you said and pay off debt or put some in savings. Our accountant didn't get our taxes done on time so after filing for an extension, we're not sure if we'll get any at all. I had grandiose ideas for the money, but now that I've had time to think about it it seems so smart to put it towards kids' college. Or maybe groceries since now the prices are so high.

Jodi Jean said...

ken and ken, don't worry you'll still get the rebate ... we filed an extension and recieved ours already.

as for you wondering how it will affect next year's filing ... it doesn't count as taxable income, so that shouldn't be a problem at all!!

M A Haddox said...

Debt, then Providential Living. We need to stock up on food storage again as we've been using it quite frequently. Oh, we are taking a few weekends for family vacations soon... all depending on when we get our check. Things were bad earlier this year so we used a tax preparer for our refunds -- Too bad we couldn't wait: my boss got his direct deposited on May 1. We have to wait for a check to be processed and mailed out, who knows how long that will be.

Rebate to save the countries economy? Yeah, right. To me it just sounds like Bush had to do something good this term to save face before he's replaced next year.

Oh, well. Politics. It affects us so much, but then again, so little.