Thursday, September 13, 2007

My ode to the Commode

La toilet. The latrine. The can. It really isn't something you think about until it makes you think about it. But somehow the past two days have all been about the toilet in the Haddox home.
Bug has had some non-descript fever and a couple of throw-up scares where we have rushed off to stand over the bowl to no avail which only makes you realise, "Man, I need to clean the toilet again." So last night I went around and clean the bathrooms. Only to discover my brand new scrubber has already betrayed me, the tip has pushed down to leave metal exposed and leave scratches on my upstairs bowl. Which is having its own set of troubles. In our heatwave the water reservoir become too low and contaminated with algae, which has caused our water to taste awful. We have installed a filter on the faucet but the upstairs toilet has since needed a cleaning very often since the bowl turns green in a few days time, not the downstairs just up, its weird.
Anyway, the point of my ode is this, there are a few things I am thankful for and I realized them this evening as I stood over the downstairs toilet saying, ''No, go down, go down," the mantra all have prayed at one flush or another. DD had called me in saying the toilet won't flush so I just walked in and pulled the lever and then began the chanting. I raised the lid as I watched in horror as the liquid no one ever wants to come in contact with reached that point of no return.
Here are the things I am thankful for.
-Sandals, I don't wear footwear in the home often. The kids had just gotten home from school so I had met them from the bus about an hour previously. Without them, there would be no humor here.
-My home in Minot, it had a toilet that clogged often but didn't overflow, the training that Dan and that house gave me prepared me for this Day of Days.
-Lower-tiered towels, you all have them, the beach towels, the ragged towels, my not pretty anymore towels that happened to be clean and folded and in the closet that is next to the offending toilet.
-Plungers, once again everything aligned the plunger is kept in this bathroom.
-Dan, who taught me to use a plunger without fear.
-And lastly, Washing machines, that can wipe out the smells and horrors of this day so quickly and completely.
I am so glad I can share my travails with you because there are somethings that just can't be lived alone.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!! I almost wet myself. And the reason is because we had the horror of horrors poop experiences today in Pookieville. So bad, in fact that they can never be put into print. They may, one day be uttered. Maybe. And also how I can so relate to all the things you listed your gratefulness in.

And yes, Jen Rogers is still in the ward.

Supercool Mom said...

Too true! I hate to say it but..."I am soooo glad it was you and not me."

(I found you through Nikki)

and btw, have a better day tomorrow!

Nikki said...

Actually this last Sunday was Jen's last week. I think she moved to the other ward though.

littlegloria TREASURESREBORN said...

As _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ said: "...the rancor of that personal comment, I can't dignify with an answer." I agree!