Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Super Cheesy/Gushy Confession

I am not one for emotional outbursts. Wait, let me rephrase that so it's true. I am not one for outbursts of positive emotions. Spontaneous hugs, Golly gee your swell kinda stuff. Nothing makes me want to kick my own butt more than when I cry in public. I'm not all that comfortable when other people do it either.

But the truth really is...there is a soft sort squishy person deep inside there that I keep chained up and buried beneath sarcasm, wit, and (hopefully) a good dose of dark humor.

This election has made my squishy come out.

I know that I will take this back, maybe even by the time the results come out but I am so happy today. I have always been too interested in politics, I remember when I went crying to my father to tattle on my mother for having a Dukakis pin on her purse. I was mortified, what was she thinking? She couldn't possibly be thinking about voting for him. It was 1988, and I was ten, it's a little bit of a head scratcher why I am like this.

I love this country. I mean Apple Pie, Fourth of July, Big Band, Fireworks, bring on the Lee Greenwood love this country. Every Fourth I take the kids to the show on post and we sit real close to the band and I cry. I am so embarrassed. I try to hide it every year and am always so grateful when it finally gets dark.

Here's the point. Voter turn out has always been one of those things that gets my blood boiling. This great right we have and so many people not exercising it. So much blood split for it and people don't care. I missed the registration deadline after I turned eighteen by one day, I didn't know about deadlines then. On the day of the election I went with my boyfriend to the polls and watched him vote for Bob Dole as I hide my tears. I've never missed a deadline since, even with all the moves.

I am so proud of everyone this year. Bursting. Millions of new registrations, millions of first time voters. It is anticipated anywhere from 20-40 million more people will vote in this election than the last presidential election. That is so huge!

With all the division in the country, all this break-down among party lines, today I just don't care. Today everyone gets their voice. Americans are taking their voices back. This is why I am so happy, so pleased, so squishy.

Today I honestly don't care who wins. Because with so many people finally voting it makes me feel like we will be getting a President that America has chosen, even if it isn't the one that I voted for. How can I be upset at that? Now I make no promises on how I'll feel in a few months when the new administration does whatever it is they are going to do that I don't like.

Right now, inside I am all roasted warm marshmellow. I voted today, I hope you did, too. The will of the people will be done today. For the People, by the People.

6 comments:

Robin Fisher said...

Beautiful post. I felt a connection with everyone I saw at the polls today. I am sure we didn't vote for the same people, but I also felt proud to be an American and proud that so many other people thought it was important too.

Pure Golding said...

Its too bad that more people in this country don't have the same conviction and gratitude for our freedoms. What an honor to vote. I guess the only thing I would change would be to eliminate the whole electoral vote thing and go for the real numbers. I think I would feel that my vote counted more that way. But yes, I did vote! Whether it counted or not, I feel it as my duty and privilege.

oda41143 Missy said...

I'm right there with you sister. I cried many times on Tuesday and my candidate won! I feel a little prouder to be an American today. I feel very honored to be living in the time that I am right now. This is a change from feeling scared and depressed about the state of my country. Brighter days are ahead my friend. Your hubby will be home in less than 3 months!!Right?

SuperCoolMom said...

Loved this post! Hey, did your good mail ever reach you? I hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

L4GWTW said...

Cristtin I too have always felt the way you do. I get emotionaly when we sing our National Anthem, when I see people in uniform who have fought for our country etc etc. I feel like it is a huge privlage we have to vote. In CA it was a huge turn out with our Prop 8 issue we had to vote on. It was the biggest turn out here as well as in our Nation I believe. Love you and Miss you I have to say I am way jealous about where you stayed for your B and B. You know me and Civil War I am all over it. I would love to have a plantation style house some day. Stacey

MNATTH said...

I just about stood up and sang the national anthem for how much patriotism I was feeling by the end of this post. Wow...actually, Thanks.