Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I have no words for this

I took Dan to the airport today. I can't tell you how wrong it feels. There is this "back to normal" feeling. I shouldn't feel like things are going back to normal now that Dan is heading back to Afghanistan. I drove straight from the airport to my afternoon A&P class, then home. Right when I got home it was right to chores, dishes, laundry, etc. It felt all like normal. I'm not sure what's going on. Just knowing that Dan will be coming home soon, knowing that I know what to expect now, knowing that I can do this. Dan should be home in about three months. They have cut off two months from the deployment.

Let's get to the fun stuff. R&R was beyond wonderful. Dan and I spent a couple of days in Nashville and in Kentucky at the Land between the Lakes. Just us two. We have only done that once before after we had kids. Man, it was great.



This is the view of Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN. Dan and I did a tour. It was a plantation turned into a field hospital during the Battle of Franklin during the Civil War. There are still blood stains on the wood floors. There is a historical fiction out called The Widow of the South, it was very interesting. Also nice was taking a boring adult history tour of something and having no one to shush.



The view from the cabin we rented at the Land between the Lakes. Beautiful. I wish we could've stayed there for a few more days.



We came home on Sunday morning. I walked into the house and called the kids into the living room. Hey kids who wants to see what I brought home from my trip? Yeah! I opened up the front door and there stood Dan. They just yelled and ran to him. It was indescribable. This picture was taken within minutes and I think that is enough.


Having a man around the house again...



He did this to the garage in one day. One trip to Lowe's for a tool rack thingy, toy thingy, another couple shelves and the garage is so pretty. I wish I had a before picture so you could really get the full benefit. Let's just leave it at that there was a free path from the car door to the basement door.

He mowed the lawn twice, trimmed all the trees and bushes, took two trips to the dump, and a trip to the recycling place (we don't have pick-up here in Clarksville, we have to take it ourselves). And he bought me this...



We didn't quite measure the cabinet right and the fridge was too high, so Dan took care of that, too. He cut the lower lip of the cabinet so the fridge fits. I'll admit it, I have hugged my new frigde. The best part for Dan is the old fridge in the garage, the next time we went to the commissary he made sure we bought a whole mess of soda. While we would be watching TV in the basement he would just step into the garage and come back with a cheesy grin on his face and a cold soda.

I hadn't realized how many things I had let slide, couldn't do, or didn't do until I had a man in the house again.

Now lets get to the important part. What I wore to the airport.



I'm going to come clean about this picture, its a re-enactment. The picture at the airport is bad. When Dan came walking down that hallway thing and I saw him, I starting bawling. I never got fully into an ugly cry but when I cry my face gets all puffy and red. It shows up on the pictures. And the person who took the picture didn't get the full effect of the outfit. So, yes, I made Dan do a re-do. As much as I worried about this outfit I needed pictoral proof.

So now back to "life." I don't even want to think about what my inbox looks like or the google reader. Looks like I have a lot of deleting to do. I hope everyone had a good eighteen days.

8 comments:

oda41143 Missy said...

Yeah!! I'm glad you are back, sorry your hubby had to leave to get you back, but I'm still glad you are back. Those pictures are awesome. The looks on those babies faces is priceless. So, what did he say about your weight loss? Just three more months!! That's AWESOME!!!

The Schooley's said...

Cristtin, you look amazing!! Love the outfit, so perfect. I am so happy to hear that two months were shaved off the deployment. Yeay! You guys all look so happy, it does my heart good!!

Susie J. said...

ohhhhhh hon. ((((hugs)))) I so understand. There was a period of time there (about a year or more) where my dh was gone 10 weeks, then home 6 weeks, then gone again in a repetative cycle. In fact, last Christmas, he came home Christmas Eve and was gone again 10 days later.
IT SUCKS. And the feeling of being "back to normal" just made me feel totally guilty. And yet... it IS normal to feel that way.

Robin Fisher said...

It goes by quick-I promise. Mike will be home in less than a week. His R&R ended just 3 months ago, too.

Tubbs Family said...

Hey hot momma!! That outfit is great! And 3 more months, I hope it goes quick for you. I love the pict with the kiddos...priceless!

Anonymous said...

I suppose I should leave you comments more often. I'm glad Dan was able to come back for a while and I think I read somewhere that you said they cut a few months off of his tour (if so awesome!)

I hope all is going well and that time flies fast when he is gone. I wish that he could've stayed with the Air Force. Life would've been so much better if you guys could've avoided the Army (I definitely don't envy you).

In the meantime, I got tagged by Katie today so I thought I'd find four people I stalk on blogs but fail to comment to tag as well. You're first:

You've been tagged. Go to your pictures folder or application and post the fourth picture in the fourth file and describe it. Then tag four other people :)

Look forward to seeing your response whenever you get time.

Your way-too-distant half-brother-in-law,

Steven :)

SuperCoolMom said...

Long low Wolf Whistle.... So glad that you had some quality time with your hubby! That romantic weekend getaway sounds fabulous, and so was all the work he did around the house! It's nice to know that you are strong enough to handle it all, and that you won't have to for too much longer. {{{hugs}}}

Dump the reader and start fresh. No guilt.

Anonymous said...

You're a foxen love! The outfit you chose is darling!