Thursday, September 04, 2008

What the...?!

Today in Algebra we were broken up in groups and set to work on an assignment. We got our little group of four all together, chatted a tiny bit and got to work. A few minutes into doing some work that didn't require any discussion I hear, "Um, ma'am?"

That would be one of my group members trying to get my attention. I was the only girl in the group and I can assume by his title the only ma'am in the group also. I hesitated and looked around to see how close by the professor was, maybe he was trying to get her attention. No such luck. I looked at him and asked, "Did you just call me ma'am?" Then he realized that he had offended me and meekly apologized.

Stupid-dang-respectful-butt-headed-teenaged-color-coordinated-wearing-more-hair-product-than-I-ever-have-phrat-bro-punk.

I'd rather had been called dude. A million times over. Ma'am. shesh.

8 comments:

The Schooley's said...

You have finally "arrived" Cristtin!! Smile. Ohhh, I hate the ma'am card being used. I think I would prefer dude too, actually, I get dude from my kiddos all the time. I hope you "accidently" tripped him??!!

M A Haddox said...

Instead of getting angry and doing things like glaring at him, you should do the opposite. Smile at him a lot and every now and then wink at him. Tell him you don't like being called "ma'am" but you like the way he said it...

I bet he drops to class. :)

Charlotte said...

Girl, you have to realize that TN is in the South and the boys down there are taught to "yes ma'am" and "yes sir" before they can walk! LOL! Just take it as a compliment of him being raised properly ;)
I hope you do better in College Algebra than I did. I think I only took it 3 times to pass...

SuperCoolMom said...

ROFLOL!!! I remember the first time I got Ma'am'd. It was a black day indeed. Heeheehee.

Will it make you feel better if I tell you that someone asked me if Elizabeth was my first GRANDCHILD!?! (While someone probably asked me, "When is your baby due?" in the same week. But my all time fave is..."Do you know what you're having yet?" I'll take Ma'am any day.

M A Haddox said...

Charlotte is right. I was raised to call ladies "ma'am" regardless of the age. It came directly from mum's Southern upbringing.

And yes, I have been caught in the same situation as your study boyfriend. I've called ladies in their mid-20's "Ma'am" and have received the worst looks.

Pure Golding said...

As a southerner, I never thought much of being called Ma'am except that it was meant respectfully. Now, here in Wyoming, if you're called Ma'am the guy is either from the south or he does think you're really old! You can usually guess which one though by the way he says it.
Of course being almost 40 now (BooHoo) I expect much more where that came from!
Good luck in Math!

Jerusha said...

We should make up something better than m'am, because I don't care for it either. I lost my "Excuse me Miss" Status a long while back.. I don't think I look old but I pick up my 15 year old brother from school and all his friends think I'm his mom. Yikes. I was 13 when he was born and didn't even have my period yet, so go figure, I look old enough appartently.

Jodi Jean said...

haha ... but it could have just been his upbringing. did you respond, "what can i do for you kid?" haha!