Monday, September 29, 2008

Big mouth strikes again



Last week was parent teacher conference week at the childrens' school. Punx teachers sent a note saying that we did not need to meet, that was nice. DD's and Bug's meetings went a little differently.

I have been getting notes in Bug's study buddy about three times a week. "He did not do so well with his listening today." "He didn't do as he was told and lost some recess today." "Today when I told the kids to go to their desks after carpet time he stayed on the carpet and spun in circles." You get the idea. We have been discussing every bad note and celebrating every good one.

A couple days ago there was yet another bad note and I looked right at him and said, "This is not a good note." He looks right back at me with dead eyes and in monotone goes, "I don't care." Get to time out, right now. I was on the couch studying and stayed there where I could see him sitting in the corner on the stairs where I left him for a long time. After about twenty minutes I start saying, "Do you care now? Huh? Do ya?" And then left him in there awhile more. We had a long talk about him never saying that kind of stuff to me. Ever again.

Next day, good note. The day after that, not so much. I look at it, and look at him. He looks at me and before I can say anything at all, "I care."

Alright message received, but we are still getting bad notes, but at least I am not getting attitude over it anymore.

Then yesterday, Bug's primary teacher tells me a good story of what he said in front of the whole primary. I have started getting the kids ready for my weekend trip. "Mom is going away for a couple of days and Aunt Jenny is coming to stay with you guys." They don't know that I am getting Dan at the airport and we are going to the lake for the weekend. I told them that I am just taking a little break. After telling DD that she doesn't get to ask me why I get to take a break, I went on to explain that it was just for like two days and they would be with their cousins and Aunt. You'll be fine.

Bug raised his hand and told all of the primary, "Um, my Aunt Jenny is coming to our house for the weekend 'cuz Mom needs a break."

He also told his teacher about me being unhappy about my birthday, by way of the unhappy face that I had put on the calendar. I told the kids it was because Dan was gone not the numeric significance. That got me a batch of really good homemade cookies, which I totally snarfed. Now that the whole primary thinks that I am coming unhinged. Oh well, I will be too busy actually spending time with my husband. Holy crap, ten more days.

5 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

TEN days!!! Holy Cow! That is sooo awesome! I better get my act together and send your good mail!

When DH and I were struggling with some issues, one son went and told his primary class all about it. Every week. Thank goodness his teacher didn't have a perfect life or she might have been seriously shocked.

Jodi Jean said...

10 more days ... HUZZAH!!! i'm so excited for you!!

i know i'm totally gonna be getting notes like that once aidan starts school, sorry cristtin!!

Abbey said...

Hope you guys have fun with Dan while he is back...Hunter has said some pretty embarassing things in primary too...that one is pretty good though!

Pure Golding said...

Jessica once told the Primary Pres that Ken and I had died the night before. The Pres knew us well so she didn't really believe her but pulled me aside so I could address it with Jess later. Someday you'll look back and laugh. Maybe try and get to the heart of the prob with Bug instead of just how to deal with it afterwards. I'm sure its just that Dan is gone and you've started school. He probably just feels the changes and doesn't quite know how to deal with them. Luckily he's young and it won't permanently do any damage!
Have fun with Dan home. I so wish we could be there too. After the lake thing of course! ;)

Haddorkus said...

Um, yeah, no one is invited to my house. Is that rude? I will not be answering the phone, talking to other humans, generally pretending that other people don't exist. We will be living on nuts and leaves from the yard because I'm not leaving Dan to go to the commissary, unless he's coming with me.

Here's poor Dan's future: "Where you going?"
"The bathroom."
"Oh, alright."
"Wait, now where are you going?"
"Uh, didn't you just say that we were going to the bathroom? Let's hold hands."

Conversation to be played out about three times a day over the course of eighteen days. I'm worried that I might even hiss at people who try to talk to him at church. And priesthood, where he has to leave me for an hour? How do I talk him out of going to that?