Friday, September 12, 2008

I need help

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and get the jokes out of your system. I really do have a problem here. It is two-fold. Dan comes home in one month. Hold on, I need to do that again.

DAN COMES HOME IN ONE MONTH!!!!!!

So the first part of my problem is the freaking out about all the things that I need to do to be ready for when he gets here. The house sparkling clean, food in the house, maybe even have some freezer dinners, yard work, garage, haircut for me, haircut for the boys, write real to-do list of all the things I want to get done, etc. Everyday I live in this house and it seems fine and then I think about Dan coming home and it's a crap-hole. One disgusting mass of kids mess and filth. And the various depositories of my belongings that I haven't taken care of. This house looks exactly like what is does when Dan is home and that is now all of a sudden unacceptable to me.

The thing I am really freaking out about is what I am going to wear at the Airport to pick him up? Seriously. I am running circles in my head about what I could wear to the airport and can't figure it out.

Options:
Casual or nice
New or old

There are many pros and cons to each side. Casual would be the pinnacle of what I am, jeans, t-shirts, flip-flops is how I live my life. So Dan's first sight of me being something he is used to sounds reasonable.

Nice though has it's upside as well. I don't dress nice very often. So when I do, Dan likes that. It's a special occasion so shouldn't I dress up?

Then the old or new question. Should I wear something that is from my somewhat skinny collection that I couldn't fit when Dan left but that he would recognize. Once again touching on the whole comforting angle.

New to make me feel better and also get to shop more and celebrate my new size.

What about mixing up the categories, old outfit but nice clothes? Casual clothes but new?

Welcome to the endless circle of my thinking. I will accept all suggestions and then pretty much do what I want in the end but I still need guidance. The other part that worries me is isn't it too early for me to be putting this much thought into a decision like this that let's face it Dan won't really think about all? I'll get the "you look great" and he'll mean it. But he won't think anything about the energy or time put into the decision. He's a guy. And he's not incredibly neurotic. And I am not going to tell him either, no use giving him ammunition for the committal hearing. But I am going to face reality, my reality here. I am going to have this on my mind until I make a decision.

So go ahead and take it both ways, I need help. oh, oh, the really great side of new and nice is I'll get new shoes. I hadn't thought of that one before.

12 comments:

Ned & Heidi Broberg said...

NEW...go shopping...that always makes me feel better and fresh! And its fun...not on the credit card statement, but when you wear it at least.

M A Haddox said...

I remember coming home from New Zealand and seeing the house TOTally changed. In one way, it was neat, but in another way, it wasn't home anymore. I never felt comfortable going back since. So, for the house, I'd make some changes to give a little bit of the "wow, neat" factor, but leave it mostly the same so he can feel at home.

But you're right about how you dress. You're going to look extremely great to him no matter what you wear. I would do something sharp, however, something that he just can't ignore. Like a stunning dress, not just your Tuesday night homemaking dress, but an evening out on the town dress.

Laurie HF said...

I vote for new and nice, and then just make sure the house is straighted and vacuumed. He'll appreciate the clean and normal.

Anonymous said...

I think you should dress in whatever makes you feel like a fox babes. And trust me, he'll be more happy to see you than anything.

Supercool Hotmama said...

Go casual but hot. Black jeans and a feminine top that emphasizes your fab figure! Doesn't have to be fussy, just make sure the gathers or pleats are in the right place to play up your assets.

Flylady says that if you want to impress the people you live with, clear the horizontal surfaces. Don't start any new projects, but make sure the yard, front porch, and entry are perfect, since that will be the first "Home sweet home" impression. For the rest, clean and straightened will be all he'll notice.

Supercool Hotmama said...

And you absolutely deserve to go shopping and get NEW to celebrate all your hard work and Dan coming home! Hooray!!!

oda41143 Missy said...

OMG one month will be here before you know it. I say wear something to show off the new body and knock his socks off (maybe a few other items of clothing too). You go girl!!

The Schooley's said...

Hello?? A chance to go shopping for something new!! Somewhere inbetween casual & nice. Like dress up your pair of jeans. (OK, to me that is wearing a belt & something other than flip flops!) Shopping sounds good to me though!! Yeay, one month & counting!!

Jodi Jean said...

holy moley ... 1 more month, that is SO exciting! hopefully it flies by instead of dragging on and on.

i vote new (but you can decide casual or nice) 1- because you've been working HARD and you totally deserve it 2- you've been waiting patiently (said loosely of course ... i know how it is, as patient as possible in that situation) and you totally deserve it

that being said ... i remember i totally stressed about what i would wear when i went to the airport to pick up rob and i don't remember and he probably doesn't either ... i just rememeber running into his arms and the GIANT hug that had been too long inbetween. ultimately it wont matter what you wear, just that you are there in his arms -- again, where you should be.

Melissa said...

Hi I don't know you but I found you on Jodi's blog she has been a friend of mine for many many years. I was reading along in this post and I couldn't help but tell what a wonderful person you are for giving your husband to our country so that we all can be free. I couldn't imagine being home alone for so long that would so rough. You are an amazing women and I vote NEW and NICE! You deserve everything you want for what you have been through and it is always fun to feel really pretty for your hubby. He will notice and he will be taken back by your beauty. Good luck and I am so excited for you to be with your love again. IF you would like to keep in contact I keep my blog on private but would love to invite you email me bright_star07@msn.com.

Take care,
Melissa

Heidi Maloy said...

He's going to just be excited to see YOU, but still, for what it's worth, I vote new for sure (any great excuse to shop is worth taking adantage of) and I would go one of two ways- knock your socks off just for the extra fun and great moment, or somewhere in between- a comfortable nice that is totally you, or a dressed up casual- great jeans with the extra efforts... and as for the house, I agree with everyone else- clean, but still homey , I like supercool hot mama's response... either way, it's something to be excited about, not to stress about, if you remember WHY you are cleaning and preparing, it won't make is stressful, it will make it fun and exciting, and you won't even mind the tedious stuff because you will be doing it for the boys you love... so sit back, breathe, and take it all in. Good luck! (and don't forget to share pics of your results... and I want to know more about this "hot new body.")

Jodi Jean said...

if you ever want to talk, my email is on my profile page ... although i will be out of it for the next little bit while i welcome #2 into the world ... i'm glad that my comments can help in the little way that they do. everyone's experiences are different and i don't mean to compare mine with yours ... not at all (i can't even imagine going through it with children!! you are a superhero/goddess!!)

one little tidbit about the airport, i don't know how close you are to where you have to pick him up from, but when i went to pick up robby, i got a hotel nearby so i wasn't stressing (even though i only had to go to LA to pick him up). i arrived at the hotel early and relaxed (and primped), and then they had a shuttle that goes to and from the airport (so i didn't need to stress about driving at all, finding parking, etc ... you know how airports can be). then after we had our reunion we got back on the shuttle and headed back to the hotel to relax. (i'm sure your situation is different, especially since you have children in the picture) but maybe something similar could work for you, and help keep you calm and focused on what really matters -- seeing Dan again.