Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our Prophet


My sister, who lives in Utah, just called me to tell me that the Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, my church, Gordon Bitner Hinckley just passed away. She actually had a hard time getting through the phone lines to call me since it seems all the Utahans are sharing this information with their family outside the state. He had a very long, very productive life, he was born in 1910. It still seems shocking to me that he is gone. I, like everyone else in the Church, loved this man. The first time I went to General Conference and saw him, I felt his amazing spirit from across the Tabernacle. A few years later, at the conference center, I had the same experience when he came in. I was surrounded by thousands of people but the whole feel of the room changed when he came in and I knew that he had been called to be our Prophet.

Years ago, Dan and I read his biography and it is astounding the things he was apart of. It gave me such an appreciation for him by reading about his life. He was called to be the Prophet when I was in High School. I feel like a member of the family has passed. I am so sad. I know that we will have a new Prophet soon, and the Church will move forward without so much a glitch, but I will miss him and hearing his great conference talks. I am just glad he is with his wife again.

The last sad thing about this to me is on the selfish level. When my sister told me, I could only think of Dan and telling him and having no way to get a hold of him except by email, was very distressing to me. Nothing seems real to me until Dan and I have talked about it and now I don't have that anymore. I hate this. Not being able to call your own husband is very stressful. Alright, no more boo-hoo from me. Lets focus and remember how awesome President Hinckley was.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

I just posted a blog about him too, then i decided to check out you blog and saw you have one too. My sister told me last night as well...very sad, yet happy news.
He will truly be missed