Friday, November 30, 2007

Immunizations, my foot

I sit here typing from Day 3 of quarantine. No everyone calm down, it is not the Shauntee Virus, geek check to all Heroes fans out there. Its the Pox. Not small or monkey, just chicken. In what Web MD refers to as a breakout infection (a person who has been immunized against it but gets it anyway), Innie has a small case of the Pox. Tuesday he kind of had a fever and a sore throat, we drugged him up and sent him to bed and thought nothing of it. The next morning it appeared he had a cold sore in his lip. I laid down the law for him, no sharing any one's cups, don't touch a lot of people, and wash your hands a lot more. As I am giving him his eye drops for his pinkeye infection he is getting over, nice right, I notice a bump on his forehead, still ignore it. We are now at the door rushing to be on time for the bus stop and getting Bug to preschool. Innie comes up to me and lifts up his shirt, "Its real itchy right here." He points to this general area of spots. I lift up his whole shirt and there they are in all their glory. Back and belly.

Well, no school for Innie. I get the other two to school. Call a nurse, she informs me that we all don't have to go into quarantine since they have had they immunizations and Dan and I have already had it. But they don't want to see us at the doctor's office to confirm that its the pox, thank you very much. "Oh, you'll be able to tell for sure in the next couple of days. Just bring him in if it looks like he is getting an infection."

Now DD is the school courier pigeon and I am a de facto home-schooler. We work on stuff that the school sends home during the day and I try to keep him busy besides that. We have done a little extra stuff, like studying the latest map from National Geographic that is about dinosaurs and making times table charts to hang on the wall of the craft room by where the kids do their homework. Other than those few burst of creative learning that we have had, its lots of legos and TV.

Yesterday, in DD package was get well cards from Innie's whole class. They were so cute. Some were funny. Innie remarked at one kid calling him his BFF, "that kid called me mean two days ago and now he thinks we are best friends, that's funny." He called him mean because Innie noticed that he had a sandwich in his lunch and most days he has other stuff, how rude of Innie. The best was the story a girl put in about when she had the pox and her sister teased her by always saying. "Boc, Boc" to her, she didn't think it was funny. We loved the idea and have been bocking at him ever since.

There was a lot of admonitions to not scratch, which I found interesting. Either a lot of kids have had it and know or the teacher said something. And why have so many kids had it, haven't they been given the shot too? Does this thing not work at all? Dan and I are so paranoid every time we see the other two scratch we are lifting up their shirt to see what they were scratching and we have been like groomer monkeys on each other, "Do you see anything?" Every itch makes me jumpy. Its the Pox, I tell you, the Pox. Although, we haven't had to deal with that much with Innie. He has been so good. I am pretty sure this is a light case but still I haven't seen him scratching once and he always comes to me and tells me where it is itching and waits patiently for the lotion to take affect. Such a weird little angel boy.

Here is the picture of Innie holding all his get well cards that we put in his Thank you card he sent back to school with the mule, DD, today.

7 comments:

Pure Golding said...

I hope he feels better. Sam and Jarom are the only ones who haven't had the pox but got the shot when the "real" ones didn't come as they did with all the girls. I even had them take a bath together so Sam would get them (they were about 4 and 2). I just hope he doesn't get them as an adult. I understand that its miserable. Ian's a good kid to not scratch! That's some willpower. Where does he get that from? :)

M A Haddox said...

Aww, man! You should have made him look incapacitated when taking that picture, with fake IV and everything. That way, the other kids would have felt doubly sorry for him and sent gifts of food and other pleasantries next time instead of cards!

Maybe it's not too late!!

M A Haddox said...

So, if you have the Shauntee Virus, what was your ability?

Haddorkus said...

I have super-multi-tasking abilities. I can help get Dan ready for deployment, keep two kids in school while keeping the other pox-boy occupied at home, renovate the kitchen, still watch way too much CNN, blog, and not lose it all over overyone too much. And still be a total dork and make Heroes referenced jokes in my blog that only some people will get anyway. But I think I am starting to lose my ability, everything is starting to get away from me, not enough time. Maybe I do have the Shautee Virus.

I would dig the ability that the nightmare man has, reading minds and making people do things. Thinks of the parenting possiblities... always know the truth, they would always eat their veggies, and go to bed on time, Muuaa, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha...(that's the best I can type an evil laugh.)

SuperCoolMom said...

Hey, I want that!

My oldest has had chicken pox about 5 times! I swear he has, yet everyone tells me it's impossible and that it must be something else. I think the virus must be getting stronger due to the immunizations or something.

Nikki said...

Boc! Boc!

Poor kid. It hasn't happened in our family yet. But it's only a matter of time.

Which reminds me, I need to get Ham's 6 month immunizations.

Abbey said...

Poor innie! I'm thinking the shot doesn't work?? LOL crap, i got that shot ;)