Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Chicken sans head

It's been a few months since I had a meltdown, right? So it's time. I'm entitled to one now, ok?

Entitled or not, I am having one. I won't bore you with my whole to-do list just my top two.

The kids start school on Friday. I start school about two weeks after that. I am taking seventeen credits. One of my classes is Pre-Calculus. It has been six years since I went to school. Longer since I took college algebra. But to graduate in the time before we move, I have to take Pre-Calc right now. So I have been studying everyday from a textbook that is the math level just below the class I am about to take, as a refresher. Want to know what doing Algebra everyday for hours on end of your own volition does to your will to live? No, you don't.

So, I am freaking out. I don't know how I am going to handle this class and the unknown is my enemy. Once school starts and I am in motion things will be better. I can get a tutor, meet with academic advising, have options. Right now my option is calling my Dad and asking him to please go over functions with me and please explain their purpose. And could you kindly tell me why they exist in the first place?

Also, there is something wrong with the computer so I got an external hard drive to save all my files and am going to attempt a reboot to see if I can fix the problem that way. I found a trojan horse on the computer a few weeks ago and removed it but I think that there must be something else that the scans are not picking up. Just the thought of being without my computer sends me in to hyper-ventilate mode. But if I can't fix it, looks like I am going to have to suck it up and take it to Chuck after all. Just for them to look at it is going to be like $200, man.

I will be pretty scare for the next little while. And a pretty bad blog reader, too. I just opened up my email and had 45 messages and my google reader had 73 posts. It is time for me to focus on the freak-out. I pretty much deleted all the emails and am just going to clear the reader.

Because I need to get back to my Algebra. Is it bad if your brain feels squishy?

9 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Um, what is X again?

SuperCoolMom said...

So far you are doing more math than I have ever even attempted. Math is why I am a Special Ed teacher and not a Doctor. Math is what kept me from ever pausing for a semester in my education, because if I had ever taken a break, I would have had to start in a new catalog which would have required me to go even higher than the College Algebra that I barely squeaked past. Math was the bane of my existence. Even teaching Math gives me the heebie jeebies. So, I applaud the fact that you are doing practice math of your own volition. You Go Girl! You'll be just fine. (If all else fails you can go into teaching ;D

dump the reader and start fresh. feels good.

M A Haddox said...

It's not bad that your brain feels squishy... but it is bad that you actually have access to your brain to feel it.

I'm not going to tell you my feelings on math.. it will only get you angry -- never mind, I will. I did so well on the ACTs in math that I didn't have to take it in college, so I didn't = worst decision ever. I miss it so much. I miss it 2nd to playing the French Horn. There are days I try to turn the events in my life into a mathematical equation. I've sworn that one day I will create a formula that when computed, will be the basis of one of my music compositions (like I'll ever have more than one). It will probably associated with 12-tone theory .. yeah, it won't sound good, but that's not the point. The point is that the science of math --of absolutes!!-- will have created it. I love the book "Contact" by Carl Sagan for the sole reason that the alien message sent back to Earth taught us there language by using math as a translator. Math is not wishy-washy like the English language: where it creates rules and then breaks them; and you are to be judged when you break them the wrong way...

Well, yeah... I envy you. I suppose in the end, the way I think of it is: God created the Universe, Earth, and us using the laws of science and math. Thus, I theorize that we not only get to enjoy Math here on Earth, but as we continue to educate ourselves after we die, too!!! SO MUCH FUN!!

You just made my day by writing this post. Thanks, Cristtin!!

wyjzxhs = "Why'd ya'z hack us?!"

oda41143 Missy said...

I almost hyperventilated (sp) just reading this. You have forced me to have to take a nap. Good luck.

Pure Golding said...

Mike is so full of it! Math sucks! Take it from someone who cannot decipher between an integer and a decimal! Huh? Don't even ask if I know the definitions of those terms (I do know what a decimal is- its that thing that is always too far to the right!)
Anyway, good luck with school. I like English personally! Breaking rules- you bet!

Abbey said...

Good luck, I hope you do well! I think it's awesome that you are going for it, and I'm sure it will all end up fine.

Tubbs Family said...

Whoa, whos that M.Haddox guy...he's crazy. You need sympathy not crazy talk! :-) So have your melt down, its good for you. And Kudos to you for doing this on your own! Most women wouldn't brave what you are about to conquer. Perhaps your computer is sympathetically melting down with you :-) I wish you luck!

Nikki said...

I feel queasy after reading your post and M.Haddox's comment. Good for you for going to school again. I'm hoping I can figure something out to go back to school too-- or at least take some online courses.

Anonymous said...

Ya ok, I took Algebra fall semester last year. It nearly put me in the ground. Along with some other people. I'm totally not kidding. So I feel ya.