Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Little Bug

It's just one of those things that you wait for and you wait for and when it comes you are just as sad as you are excited that it finally came. My baby turned five on Monday.



I have done a party for all the kids when they turned five and although I really didn't feel up to the challenge this year, I knew I had to do something. So I invited two families to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch, baked some cupcakes and called it a party. I forgot candles, matches, and my camera for the party. The morning of the party, I realized that I didn't have frosting, or powdered sugar to make frosting, a cupcake pan (I have been using the same 6 holder muffin pan for like ten years), or wrapping paper. I think that the impromptu party is not for me. I need planning and lists and lots of time to accomplish it. Oh well, it is what it is. The kids had a blast. We were there so long I was a little late to drop of the car to the shop for it's repair job.

As we were leaving to go to the Chuck with a box lid filled with hot cupcakes that I would frost there, even though I forgot the knives, the kids were jumping up and down with excitement. They were also going on and on about the, what do you call it, tag line? Where a kid can be a kid? But apparently they have some commercial about coming on your birthday that then it's "Where a kid can be a star!" He was so excited to be a star. We get there and they see all the trapping of birthday and ask who's birthday it is, Bug answers and he is told if he tells them at the counter he can get a free ice cream. He turns to me and says, "I really am a star." I am so glad at least he is still easily pleased.



I left his two larger presents at home so as to not have to lug them around and this was one of them. He has been asking for a guitar for a while now. He started asking for a violin and then the next day informed me he changed his mind and wanted a guitar instead because it was cooler. At least he went back to asking for a guitar because the presents he asked for at Christmastime were a little problematic. The first a real-live frog, and we know how that has since turned out and the second was a guitar with wheels that he could ride. That one stumped us, so he got the ill-fated frog.

Lastly, some of my favorite bug items:

The things he says...I could fill this blog with the random, funny, embarrassing things he says. Even the stuff he says everyday makes me smile things like tippy-bottom, baby-ified (he said that is what would happen to Punx when he caught him reading a baby book well below his level), and he still has that little kid high-pitched voice that he really cute. He is also the one that came up with throwing toys down the stairs to the basement and saying, "Fire in the hole." I have no idea where he got that one from.

He still doesn't mind snuggling. Sometimes I fight him but most of the time he is a really good snuggler.

He is the only one in the house to give spontaneous hugs to me.

He shares every new achievement with me, running to me in his excitement to share.

He loves school and is bursting to go to Punx and DD's school. I am rather bursting myself, with that twinge of sadness.

He still sleeps with that blanket he is pictured in as a little baby, he calls it his Qwe-Qwek. That is how we spell it, it is just one of his made up words that he called all his blankies as a toddler but still hangs on to that one.

He answers to Bug now.

5 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

What a cutie! One of my guys used to make up words all the time. He always called his blankie, "Glankie" - even after he could say it.

Last time I took cupcakes to a family party, I too ran out of time for frosting. Everyone loved them plain. I may never frost a cupcake again.

Tubbs Family said...

BUG is five?? What?!? I thought you were taking about Punx, then I realized he was in school while you were in Minot. Then I thought DD, no she is in school now. But BUG! Wow time flies!!
Remeber the time when Travis was over Home Teaching you guys and Bug put a (I think it was a paperbag) over his head and ran right into the wall. I don't think you stopped laughing all night!!

oda41143 Missy said...

Happy Birthday. he is the same age as my little one. my son will be 5 in October and I'm dreading it. It's just a big boy age. where did our babies go?

The Schooley's said...

Happy birthday Bug!! The years have just flown by havent' they?? Time is precious!!

M A Haddox said...

Good news and bad news: Your son looks like Dave...

Happy Birthday, Carter! (3 weeks and 2 days ago)