Friday, December 19, 2008

Yatta! ("I did it!" in Japanese)

This past week was the week for some serious arms up in the air and screaming, "Yatta!"

I will list my top three:

First:
Finished first semester of school, didn't do too bad on my finals, didn't kill the kids with all the stress, with the added benefit of being so stressed out that I lost a couple pounds. I finished the semester with three A's and one B. Of course, that B is in my Anatomy and Physiology lecture, I've never worked harder for a B or been more proud.

Second:
I fixed the toilet. Again, but really fixed the problem. The handle broke again and instead of just putting on a new handle I found out what was causing the handle to break. An old gasket in the tank. Replaced gasket, new handle, and learned how to stop it from running. I used to have to lift the lid to flush the toilet and then wait around to fix the running. Now I stay purely to thrill at the sound of a completely working flush.

Third:
Survived first girl slumber party. DD turned eight last week and instead of some big party, I told her she could invite three friends to sleep over. I had this thing planned. Asked a friend to let the boys sleep over at her house so I could focus solely on the girls. They watched movies, played on the computer, video games, ate pizza, other various junk, and we made bracelets/necklaces with little picture frame charms for a picture of DD and whoever made the jewelry. And they were even quiet when I told them it was time to be quiet, I think I properly scared them with my I-am-the-crankiest-person-in-the-world speech. The next day was a little more challenging, they were all very tired including the boys. Everyone was all blood-shot eyes by the end of the day. None of them have ever stayed up that late before. They had a blast. Even if DD was having some serious entitlement issues, one more thing to work on.

3 comments:

Pure Golding said...

Congrats on surviving! Now the Christmas baking begins??? That will help with the extra few pounds lost. Wait! I think I found them for you. I'll just hold them until I see you again! Naw! I'll send them back!
Don't you love sleepy children? Talk about cranky! Sleepovers are fun though, and she'll remember that one for years to come. What a great mom!

Charlotte said...

You are SO brave to take on a bunch of 8 yr old girls. LOL I remember my first sleepover was when I was 8 yr old in 2nd grade. It was so memorable. There was a full moon out that night and we watched Thriller! OMG I was so scared that I don't think I slept that night!
Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Supercool Hotmama said...

Good for you! The one I'm most awed by is the toilet issue. That is something I would never tackle. You go!